- Program Name
- International Graduate Program for Innovation of Civil Engineering through ICT technologies
- Outline of the Program
- This program is targeted especially for excellent students who have obtained master's degree in the civil engineering field mainly at major universities* in ASEAN. Practical education and research guidance in a multicultural co-research environment will be provided in order to foster innovative high-level international human resources who can bring technological innovation to civil engineering, environment and disaster prevention fields by actively utilizing Information Communication Technology (ICT), Internet of Things (IoT) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies.
- This program is carried out with JICA’s program of “Innovative Asia” and scholars will be able to receive additional support relating to this program. In this program, scholars will do an internship (for about one to four weeks) in principle.
* Partner schools for JICA’s program of “Innovative Asia”
- Number of Scholars: Three (Doctor course), One (Master course)
- Features of the Program
- With a focus on students who obtained master's degrees in civil engineering at leading Asian universities (partners of Innovative Asian program), this program aims to train innovative human resources who can contribute to technological innovation in the fields of civil engineering, disaster prevention and the environment, making active use of ICT, IoT, and AI.
- Students will learn urban infrastructure science, studying civil engineering in the field of cities in practice, and learn how to make use of ICT, IoT, and AI in civil engineering field, under a co-research environment with multicultural students and working people. All the instruction will be in English. Students will be able to acquire not only practical knowledge and techniques but also a dense network that will continue after returning home country with future Japanese researchers and engineers.
- Students will be able to learn from Professor Akito SAKURAI, who is a pioneer in research development of support technology for infrastructure inspection, diagnosis and management by AI.
- Students will study under a multicultural environment with both Japanese and international students. All the instruction will be in English. Students will be able to acquire not only practical knowledge and techniques but also a dense network that will continue after returning home country with future Japanese researchers and engineers.
- In research, innovative results are expected by actively applying ICT and data science technologies into essential themes related to civil engineering that are highly urgent such as efficient construction, cost reduction, and safety.
- The Yokohama-Kanagawa area, where our university is located, is one of the largest metropolitan areas in Japan, with a residential area, a core of industries, diverse and complex terrain. This area has experienced common challenges for cities around the world, and our faculty has accumulated the results of practical education and research. Taking advantage of this achievement, this program will carry out interdisciplinary education and research to solve urban problems.
- Students will find plenty of opportunities to receive off-campus education that involves practical activities in real fields, such as internships with institutions and companies in and outside Japan. The financial support for participating in an internship will also be provided for students who desire.